Vera Institute of Justice
In this issue of The Guardian Reporter, the newsletter of Vera's Guardianship Project:
- Hear from our former project director Laura Negrón as she reflects on her tenure at the project, and from our interim director Olga Perez discussing what lies ahead.
- Find out how the project's unique, multidisciplinary team model—combining expertise in legal advocacy, financial analysis, and case management—helped return a client to the hospital after his unauthorized discharge, setting the stage for a move to assisted living, and helped another client when the pipes in his house exploded.
- Read about collaborations undertaken by project staff recently, including learning about emergency preparedness from the Red Cross and hosting an art exhibit and reception on elder abuse.
- Learn about hoarding, and the challenges it poses to effective case management.
- Examine new data on the overwhelming cost of unnecessary nursing home institutionalization in New York State and the cost savings possible through helping clients return to the community.
- See recent news out of Nebraska, where state auditors discovered extreme guardianship exploitation, and find out about the new, statewide public guardianship system the Nebraska government created in response.